Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Great Nor' Easter

Even though I was prepared I wasn't FULLY prepared. All laundry and dishes were done. Bathtubs filled with water. But you just can't fight Mother Nature. She can be a cranky bitch. When she gets a burr under her saddle she will turn off your power and wreak havoc.

Power was only off for about 9 hours but that was 9 hours with wind driven rain and no sump pump. Total carnage is all I can say about it. About 2 inches of water in the entire basement including Heather's room. Her carpet is toast. Soggy toast.

My brother's room was a disaster and not just because of the flooding if you know what I mean.

Thank goodness the ex helped me out with a shop vac. He and a friend came over and got heaters going and the sump pump going. He found a person I could borrow a generator from but just as he was getting ready to hook everything into it and turn it on the power came back on.

I have a couple of friend's coming over this weekend to do a major clean up. I have to get that wet carpet out so it doesn't mold. What a freaking mess. poor Heather will be forced into making some hard choices when it comes to all of her stuff. She needs to learn how to let go of things. I swear she still has every stuffed animal that was ever given to her. She also has more Dale Jr memorabilia and dolphins than can reasonably be expected to fit into that room.

Supposed to get into the 50's this weekend. Maybe even hit 60. I can't wait to get a fire going in my firepit and just sit and veg out. No thoughts of phone bills or water logged basements or anything stressful. Just me and my dog.

The good thing that came out of all of this is that I did get my new TV hung on the wall. I'm really happy with how that came out.

1 comment:

Grandma Lola said...

Damn Mother nature is wreaking havoc every where. I'm sorry your basement took such a hard hit.

Hang in there sweetie, the sunny weather is coming your way. We have sun with promises of maybe 50 degrees today. wooohoo!