Monday, July 2, 2007

Anywhere from 10 to a 100 miles

A roadtrip was in order this weekend. Getting out and getting away for a few hours. I went to the beach on Sat for a few hours but it was chilly. I know....I'm in Maine...what do I expect? I expect a sunny balmy day at the beach dammit. Not wrapping up in a blanket to stay warm. It was still a good time though.

Then on Sunday my roommates and I jumped in the car and headed west. (did I tell you I had roommates? I do and that's another story for another time maybe)

Less than 10 miles down the road we saw these guys:

What a treat. They were funny and interesting and just plain cute. They are elk and domesticated, to a point. They were very docile when we saw them but have the males go into rut and look out!!

This guy is dressed up as an elk but he is really a pig and determined, as you can see. No wonder he is the second largest in the herd




This guy was the granddaddy of them all. Can you imagine carrying around that rack on your head all day, every day??

About 2 miles up the road we found this place.


Simply beautiful and about 10 miles from home. Sometimes we just don't see the beauty that is closest to us.

This is Pinkham Notch in NH. The views are stunning. You can see a small slice of the road that winds in and around these mountains


Bridges of Carroll County (NH) It's obvious this is a replica but they did a splendid job.

The best thing of all was waiting at home.

4 comments:

TLP said...

Wooo...wonderful photos! Nice trip. Thanks for sharing.

I guess Elk don't carry the rack year 'round, do they? They lose them in Feb. maybe?

I think Maine is a lovely state.

BYW, if you forget to say "rabbit rabbit" on the first of the month, all is not lost. Just say "tibbar tibbar" as soon as you realize that you've blown it!

Grandma Lola said...

great pics boobabe.

Anonymous said...

That rack reminds me of some "big hair" in the 70s! LOL

Anonymous said...

But where was Rudolph?!?! =)

I've been there - to Pinkham Notch - the country is so beautiful up your way :) Wish I could have been there!

(((Boo)))