Monday, August 27, 2007

Flipping back


I spent the entire weekend at the beach. I am a beach bum. Never thought I was but I am finding out that I am. The waves. The sun. The sand. The crowds. I like it all. I've gotten much better about applying sunscreen so even though I spent approximately 11 hours in the sun over the weekend I did not suffer a burn. I am brown as a berry though.

I returned to work this morning to find out that my team had been nominated and won a Collaboration and Partnership Award. Sounds important doesn't it? Well, actually it is a surprise and an honor. It's a long story on what we did to earn this but let me assure you it is well deserved. It came with a nice plaque, a luncheon and 4hrs off with pay. Woo Hoo. Thank you very much.

Spending time at the beach made me realize something else. Ooooppps....am I shifting gears too quickly? We're back on the beach now.

Spending time on the beach made me realize that photography is both a joy and a burden. I see pictures all around me. I want to capture every moment, every expression, every thing. But once in awhile I have to set the camera aside and just live my life. I left the camera home on Sat while I was beaching it. For 2 reasons. #1 I didn't want the sand getting into it and the temps were high that day so I figured it was best left at home. #2 I didn't want to babysit it. I didn't want to go in the water and leave it unattended on the beach and I certainly wasn't missing out on the water sports and wave running.

But not having the camera didn't mean I didn't long to snap more than a few shots. Oh well. I did bring it on Sun, but I only got a few pix. I was still too busy living my life as beach bum.

I can't go to the beach tonight or tomorrow night but I do think that I will on Wed evening. The evenings can be some of the best beach hours. The peacefulness and space. It tends to be quite warm too in the late afternoon. The sand starts radiating it's own heat.

The old roomies went with me on Sunday. They had sat in their apartment all day on Sat just sweltering. I kind of felt bad but not really. They did what they had to do then they chose to just sit there all day instead of going somewhere cool. My mean side smiled a smug little smile. They seemed very grateful to get out on Sunday though.

Have you noticed how boring and impersonal this blog has become lately? Heck it's gotten so impersonal that I wouldn't even care if my grandmother read it. I guess just like life in general, the tides just ebb and flow. Hopefully I'll flow back around and start pouring my heart back into this. Hopefully I'll be pouring positive things and not a bunch of heartache. Although lately I haven't felt like I need much of an outlet. I haven't felt much of anything at all. I'm not sure if I've given up or just stopped worrying so much.

3 comments:

Cin said...

Maybe the beach will be sort of an outlet for you. Hopefully the tide will wash away some of your worries. Maybe I should take a hint from that and take my ass to the beach eh? :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, seems like the salt air has cleared the air up there some! :)
BTW - love that "albino ballon" shot in a previous post!

perdido said...

being at the beach always makes me feel good