Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Giving Kudos because he deserves it

I have officially decided. I am no longer against Barry Bonds and his homerun record. He is a phenomenal player and deserves respect for what he has accomplished.



Yeah Yeah Yeah...there has been some steroid controversary but it's never been proven and if it is true he isn't the only one on the field juicin up. Steroids can't help you hit a ball anyways. It may beef you up so you can hit it further but it can't help you to land the bat on the ball. If you've never batted agains a major leaguer you wouldn't have any idea how difficult it is to even see the ball, let alone hit it. It takes talent and that's what he has.

How many other players were hitting the 'roids? How many pitchers blasting that ball past homeplate had an "unfair" advantage? One will never know. If it's all true then the playing field was level and if it's not true the playing field was still level.

What is wrong with us that we can't simply bask in the glow of accomplishment? Why can't we grin with pride for someone else doing a good job? Isn't that one of the greater signs of maturity? The quiet smile of happiness for someone else's success? Why can't we just be happy instead of shouting out in jealousy? Why do we feel a need to explain it away or take away from what someone has done? Can't that person just simply be great?

I'm not following Bonds around the country and staying up late hoping "this will be the game", but I do check every morning to see if it's happened yet. I wish him luck and say Congrats!! Well deserved.

No comments: