I switched to extra virgin olive oil for most of my cooking a while ago. Yeah Rachel Ray really turned me on to the attributes of EVOO. I do truly like the added flavor it adds to many of my dishes.
(I am actually becoming a domestic diva)
I love cooking veggies in it and of course roasted red potatoes in EVOO is to die for.
But I did discover last night that it is NOT to used in the place of vegetable oil when baking. I don't know if pancakes qualify as baking but that was our super duper easy dinner last night. Aunt Jemima's recipe calls for a tablespoon of oil. I stirred in my favorite EVOO. I noticed something was wrong when the batter turned a shimmery shade of green. It was very subtle. When I poured the batter onto the griddle it just kinda laid there. No bubbles. Hmmmm After a few minutes I tried to turn them. They were a bit odd and a little crumbly. I took a taste of one of the crumbs.......blech.
I scraped them off the griddle and onto a plate and proceeded to make another batch, using vegetable oil. Sam looked up from the laptop to see what I was doing. I told him that EVOO is great for cooking but not baking. The next batch came out perfectly. I slid 3 small ones on his plate and 2 medium size on my plate. I even buttered his for him. Still looking at the computer screen he asked if he had the "good" ones or the olive oil ones? Haha...I did actually think of slipping one in to see if he noticed but I was good and didn't. I fed the olive flavored ones to the garbage disposal.
What was Sam so interested in on the computer??? He and I are going to see John Mellencamp in 2 weeks!!! He was checking out the opening band, Los Lobos. He had asked me who was opening. I had no idea. All I care about is John Cougar and yes he will forever be John Cougar to me.
5 comments:
Yeah, olive oil doesn't work so well for baking, etc.
That sounds like an awesome concert! :)
your Georgia Reader sez---LosLobos are so great--you may switch to liking them!!!!I too learned the hard way re pancakes and baking--what do the Italians do?
He'll always be John Cougar to me too. I'm glad Sam is in your life. You have been writing so happy lately! Enjoy the concert!
Have a great weekend!
Your pancakes sound good! I could never make those damn things! Mine always turned out awful! I hope you have a great weekend!
Wait...aren't pancakes just flour and water?
No wonder my kids won't eat them but they are great for keeping envelopes closed.
Post a Comment