Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Poor Sam

This cold is kicking my ass. It doesn't help that it has arrived at the most inopportune time. This is one of my busiest weeks at work and I really need to put in a few extra hours to get everything done.

I got home last night at a little after 7. Sam had made a most awesome homemade mac and cheese. He puts broken up bread on top for a crunch coat and it is soooo delicious. I had a small plate of that then decided to take some Nyqu!l. Nyqu!l works ok for me. The Dayqu!l didn't really do much.

Anyways, all I remember was laying on the bed "just for a minute or two". Sam managed to get me up enough to crawl in under the sheets and I was out like a light. I woke in the night with a terrible cough. I mean a tickle that had me gasping for air. That happened a few times then I drifted into a more peaceful sleep.

My lips were dry. I could feel my tongue licking the dryness of my lips and my throat felt a little sticky. There was a terrible noise that kept waking me up. The rumbling was downright thunderous. I rolled onto my side to block out the noise. THings were quiet and I must have drifted off again when the noise was back. Then on top of the rumbling noise, dry lips and sticky throat I get a nudge in my side. I turned toward the nudge and there was Sam's face. All I could make out was the outline of his head but I could hear his voice.....faraway like he was in a tunnel. Or maybe I was in the tunnel.

I rolled onto my side again. His voice and the rumbling sound was really making my head hurt. Finally mother nature starting knocking really loud on my bladder. I got up to go to the bathroom and while I was sitting there I must have dozed again because the rumbling was back and I felt a little dizzy. I finished my business and went back to bed (before I hurt myself).

The alarm went off at 5AM. I could hear the music. I was dancing to it. Some Mellencamp song. Or was it Springsteen? Doesn't matter. The beat is there and I just wanna dance. I was dancing in time to the rumbling.

"Baby......the alarm is going off. Hit the snooze"

"huh" all groggy and not knowing where I am. I hit the snooze and I laid there. Wide awake. Thinking. About nothing and everything.

The alarm went off again. I left it on this time to catch some news and weather. I turned toward Sam. He was buried under the covers. I felt for him under the covers. His hand naturally opened to accept mine. We held hands for a few min.

He said "I can tell you are really really sick"

With my scratchy gravelly voice I ask him how he knows.

"You sawed ZZZZZZZ's all night. You only do that when you are really tired or sick"

"I snored??!!"

"just about all night"

So that explains the terrible rumbling sound that kept waking me up.

4 comments:

Cin said...

Sorry to hear that you are sick. :( I wish my boyfriends snoring would wake him up! He nearly sucks the curtains off the window! Sometimes he keeps me up half the night with all that racket!! Not to mention, our landlord next door said he could hear it too! HA!

Lois Lane said...

I hope by now you are feeling better. You reminded me of the time I woke up to shake the shit out of Mr. Lane for snoring me awake, only to find him wide awake, saying, "Thank God you woke up! Your snoring was driving me nuts!" Hahah it was me the whole time and I didn't even know it!
Don't forget our scrabble game when you are well.

mainelife said...

I hope you're better and enjoying a snow day (with no shoveling :))

perdido said...

LMAO