Monday, February 18, 2008

The long hard winter

When I was little and even after I was grown I always likes to read the Little House books. In the winter I would find myself reading the Long Hard Winter. Boy they had it rough. Twisting hay for heat and grinding wheat for one loaf of daily bread to be shared amongst 5 people. 7 months of blizzards with barely a half day day between storms to prepare for the next. At one point their house was completely buried in snow. It was those few days that they actually had it easier because they were warmer.

We certainly have it easier than them but it has been a long winter and we ARE buried. This pic of the window was right before Sam and my ex got on the roof to shovel it off.


This pic is midway through the shoveling. Sam is standing on the snow bank. As you can see that snowbank is now at the height of the top of the window. No ladder needed to get on the roof but that was official a few days ago.

The blue sky is deceiving. It was actually about 18degrees out. That window to the far right is my bedroom window. We are in a gray out. The bedroom isn't really dark but it isn't light either and it has that eery quietness that comes with a snowstorm. It would be peaceful if it weren't so eery.

It has warmed up to 38 degrees and it is raining. The roof is shoveled and I'm hoping that the rest of the ice will melt off. We need a decent melt off. We are out of space for snow. The driveway is full. The roof will have to be shoveled up. It is kinda exciting that we are having such a snowy winter. We have several small fir trees out back that have always managed to keep their heads above the snow. Not this year. They are completely buried.

I'll be monitoring the snowpack from the inside for awhile. I'm anxious to see how long it takes the snow to melt below the bedroom window. Until then I don't have to worry about any peeping toms.

Oh and I seem to have come down with another nasty cold.

2 comments:

perdido said...

I love love love that series of books too - I've read them over and over and sometimes to make myself feel better because life was so hard back then but they were happy. I can't wait until my daughter's read them.

I am amazed by the amount of snow.

Anonymous said...

Keep covering the windows and you'll be an official Troglodyte!