Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Riding the Donut

We got about 9 inches of snow in the latest storm. Not as bad as expected. We are now at 118.90 inches of snowfall for the season. Amazing. I'm not sure what our record is but we've got to be coming up on it fast and furious. We are lingering in a weather pattern of snow, rain and sleet with little bursts of sunshine mixed in intermittently.

In the middle of the storm I was driving home from work when I felt a shudder and sharp pull of the wheel. I was hoping against hope that it wasn't what I thought it was but hope, like Elvis had left the building. I had a flat tire. On I-95, in the middle of a blizzard with no AAA. Traffic was flying by me at a steady clip. Tractor trailer trucks caused my car to shudder as they passed within a few short feet of me. The snow was piling up and the plow hadn't been by in a while.

I did the only thing I knew to do. The thing I have always done when I'm in trouble. I called Mom. 41 years old and my mom is still my saving grace. She is much better prepared than I and did have a current subscription to AAA. SHe gave me permission to assume her identity for about 2 hours. Triple A was actually pretty good. The girl who answered my plea obviously knew the perils of the Maine turnpike and put a priority on my claim. The guy showed up about 45 min later. Not too bad, considering. I hate to think of how long I would have had to sit there if it weren't a priority.

So I'm riding the donut. Just for a couple of days and actually it works pretty good. Even in the snow it has good grip. The guy who came out was funny. He told me I did a good job saving the tire afterall it was only flat on the bottom. After he got me all taken care of he said to keep it under a 100 and with a wink he was gone in the night. Oh did I tell you this all happened at about 9pm? I didn't get home until a little after 11.

I'm exhausted. I really really really just want to sleep. Just a couple of ZZZ's. That's all I need, honest.

Speaking of honesty, check out this girl's honesty. When will people ever learn??
This story really broke my heart. Just horrible for all concerned. except the snake of course.

2 comments:

Christine said...

I think the family should get to keep the snake and make some boots and a new coat out of it.

Fair is fair.

Anonymous said...

Just imagining having a flat on the 95 with all that snow around just does not sound like a good time.

I'm glad to hear your Mammy is ok and home! :)