The lights had been off for a while. TV was still blaring but the sleep timer was on.
After what seemed like an eternity I had tossed and turned myself into a fairly comfortable position. Laying on my stomach, pillow all bunched up under my neck, legs spread eagle. I admit I was takng up 2/3 of the bed but man was I comfy.
Sam was curled into his usual fetal position. I could tell from his breathing that he was teetering on the edge of sleep.
We had already been dealing with a very ansy pup all evening. Shelbs wasn't ready for a long winter's nap. She was up and down off the bed. I put her out for an evening romp a couple of times and was hoping she had tired herself out.
About midnight she jumped down off the bed. I just groaned my way back into a peaceful slumber. I could hear the steady jangle of her tags as she roamed the bedroom. The usual scratching of her neck always brought about a melody of it's own.
Then she found it. In behind her tent bed. The dog puppet. Funny how dogs can recognize a song and keep a perfect beat with it. When the mouth of the puppet is squeezed it plays "How much is that doggie in the window?" And she was hitting the notes in exactly the right beat. About the time she hit the second verse Sam rolled over and said "geeesuzzz kerriste". He got up and tossed the puppet out of the bedroom and climbed back into bed. Shelby was having none of that. She scratched at the door and whined until I fnally got up.
I figured I'd let her outside for a few min. As I opened the door to the bedroom she ran out, looking for the puppet. After finding it she ran (yes she literally ran) to the door to go out. After 20 min outside she came bounding back in the house like she was shot out of a cannon. She scooped up the puppet and high-tailed it into the living room. Sliding across the floor and banging into walls as she went.
Sam and I burst out laughing. It was almost 1 am and we were dog tired and Shelby was people awake. After a few more min we finally was settled back into bed. Shelby came in and jumped on the bed. She walked across Sam's side, turned a few circles and wedged herself right between us.
Finally we were all three in tune to the hum of the sandman.
2 comments:
I adopted a new puppy that is coming home today. I know I have a few late nights ahead.
It is wonderful when the sleep synergy happens all around!!! :)
Post a Comment