Thursday, May 8, 2008

Blackhole

To say I was PISSED would be an understatement.

Pissed at my new laptop.
Pissed at my flash card reader.
Pissed at myself.

I'm still learning the ins and outs of my laptop and the Vista OS. To the naked eye it looks like you can do so much more with it than XP. But don't be fooled. Oh you CAN do more but you can also screw up more.

Last night I was trying to upload pics from a memory card to my new laptop. I have loads of room now and want all my pics in one place. Or rather I want one place that has a copy of all my pics. With Vista it offers the option of transferring files (rather than upload them) I'm not exactly sure what the difference is but I said "hmmmmm, sounds good to me". The box saying "delete files from temporary device after transfer" was already checked. I did notice it but did want to delete the pics from the flash card so I didn't uncheck it.

My card reader is a piece of junk. The cable sometimes shorts out and it will stop reading. Well, wouldn't you know, midway through the transfer the darned thing cut out and stopped transferring. THe laptop knew right away that something was wrong. It told me to reconnect the device and try again. Which I did. Only now the card was empty and only 65 of 237 pics were on my laptop. 172 pics are MIA. Sucked into the massive computer blackhole.

PISSED OFF......yeah, that would be me. But I DID learn SOMETHING. Always UNCHECK the box saying delete files after transfer/upload. (They can be deleted after I know the copies are safe where I want them.)

Last night was the second night in a row that Sam and I sat out by the firepit. It was 61 degrees on Tuesday night and 55 last night. Totally awesome. We had steak for dinner. While I was grilling he was busy setting up a dining area by the firepit. It was so nice and romantic. I took pics but they are in the blackhole. Shelby was running around all cute like and Baby Kit was all regal looking sitting on a stump. I took the pics and they also now reside in the blackhole.

THe birds in the feeder.
The Spring view from my porch.
Sam on the riding mower.

All blackhole food.

Otherwise than that I'm truly loving my new laptop. It boots up in 10 sec. Holy Speedy Gonzalez Batman!!! The old one took about a half hour. I did transfer all of my files from the old puter to the new one but I haven't deleted the old ones yet. I'm hoping once I do that and do a defrag that the old one will run more efficiently as well. I've given it to Sarah and she is so thrilled that she doesn't even care that it is a bit slow. It sure is nice to have all my favorites intact. That would have been a pain recreating.

Shelby pooped in the closet again this morning. She did so in about a 2 min span of time between trips to the closet. Matter of fact I almost stepped in it because I would not have imagined she had time to do that. Little witch. She's lucky she is cute.

2 comments:

Mindie said...

Sorry about the laptop. I've heard awful things about Vista. I hope there are still PC's out there with Windows XP. If not, it may be time to switch to a Mac. MY best friend swears by them.
And your pics have got to be there somewhere. I'll ask my computer genius friend how to save them.

Tammy said...

Thank you Richard, I will definitely give it a try.