It was a horrible night. It was raining. A wind swept driving rain. The sump pump was still on the fritz. Sam had fixed the switch a few weeks ago but it still just wasn't right. Last night it clicked on and would not turn off. I was babysitting it from 1AM on. Trying to keep it pumping so I wouldn't have a flood. Ready to drop from sheer exhaustion, I turned it off and set my alarm for an hour. I figured how bad could it get in an hour. Well, it got real bad. I couldn't let it run because it would burn up and potentially cause a fire and I couldn't not run it because I would be flooded. But I had to chose between fire and water. I chose water. I knew I had to get a new one. There is just no doubt about it. I checked online to see when Lowe's would open. WOuldn't you know being a Sunday that it doesn't open until 8AM.
I was in the car at 7:15 heading to Lowe's. I was feeling pretty badly. I was being tested and truthfully feeling totally alone and afraid that I can't do this alone. I was supposed to meet Sam one more time. We had one last loose end to tie up. I wasn't looking forward to that. Goodbyes, no matter how warranted are never easy. The isolated wallowing feelings were winning out.
I called my ex and he came over after I got back home and he started right away getting the old pump out and the new pump in. He was an expert at it since he is the one who installed the last one 13 years ago. He brought his shop vac to help clean up the water. It was still raining.
About 10:30, Sam showed up. I gave him the things I had found over the last week that I thought he would want back. He made of Shelby and she was glad to see him. We made small talk. He's doing great, having a blast. I'm doing ok, getting by. It was still drizzling so I invited him into the house rather than stand in the rain. We talked and I have to say that I will miss him. We left on decent terms. I watched him drive out of the driveway for one last time and smiled. I am better for having known him.
The rain had slowed and the clouds thinned and almost the same instant he was pulling out of the driveway it was light. The rain stopped. I went down to the basement to see the progress on the sump pump. The new one was in place. Sarah had vacuumed the excess water up. The dehumidifier is running and drying out the saturated air. No damage from the water and I will be able to sleep tonight without fear of fire or water.
Life is good. It truly is.
2 comments:
How nice that you got the pump up and running in time. I know goodbyes are tough. Hang in there.
I'm so glad you had someone to fix the flood problem.
Goodbyes are tough. Hang in there. You'll make it. I can tell you are a strong person!
Post a Comment