Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Safe landing

I have made it back home.

It was a 3.5 hour drive yet it flew right by. I rode for about the first hour in silence. No radio. Nothing. But me and my thoughts. I'd say the first 20 min or so I didn't think of anything. I was just mindful of the traffic, trying to beat rush hour traffic on I-495. I don't have a single story about any goofy drivers on my trip. Everyone was courteous and well behaved. How boring is that?

About 20 min into the trip I decided to fuel up at Dunkin Donuts. The hot coffee was just what the Dr ordered. I was a little peeved there though because someone had dumped their coffee on the ground and I happened to park in such a way that when I got out of the car I was standing in it. Grrrrr. I hate it when that shit happens.

Once I was back on the road I really relaxed and settled in for the long trip home. My thoughts turned to the events of the last month. The dark days. The devastation. Those left behind. Getting left behind. It was the first time I really let myself think about it all. Really reflect. Really take stock of it all. I think it was Nanners who once told me that there is a time, a reason, a season for everything. I understand the Time and the Season. But damned if I can figure out the reason. I spent about 40 min on that then decided that some things are just never meant to be figured out.

So then I cranked on the music and I don't know what it is about music but every song really speaks to me in one way or another. Today it was about the past that was hoped for so much and just never came to be. The songs spoke of those feelings. Some of them sang about holding on. Trying harder. Making it work. But I knew those weren't songs that speak of this time in my life. There were the tunes of wasted time. The songs of letting go. The songs of thumbing your nose at the past were the ones that better told of my time now. Compartmentalizing. Storing all the fond little memories into the back corners of my mind and heart. Encased in glass. Never to be opened and touched again. And time for a new station. No more slow love songs. No more wallowing. Even the country stuff is on a back burner for now. Well, not too much on the back burner. Cuz I love me the young "Troubadour"



And his song spoke to me. About me. Not about those who have come and gone. But just me. I love George Strait. I'll switch to rocking out tomorrow.

I arrived home at about 7pm. Sarah gave me a big hug AND a kiss....holy cow...the child really does love her mom. And Shelby was wiggling all over the place with joy at seeing me. You can't get a much better welcoming home than that!

3 comments:

Leen said...

glad you arrived home safely.

george never fails to satisfy. huh? yeah.

Anonymous said...

Im glad it was a good trip :)

Welcome home's like that are always the best! <3

Grandma Lola said...

So happy the trip was good and you are back home honey. George is the shit. Put on "the Fireman" and dance around. It never fails to bring a smile to my face. (((u)))