That's how the last 48 hours have been.
Sunday night at about 8pm Sarah texted me from her room (because our estate here is soo huge)and told me she was still having cramps. Earlier in the day she had taken a couple of Advils for cramping. I asked when she was due to start her cycle and she said it didn't feel like that. Well, ok, hmmmmmmm....so she has some cramps. No big deal right?
No big deal until the text at 8pm. I replied to let me know if they get worse. They already were WORSE. I went down to her room to check on her and she was writhing in pain on her bed.
Oh geez...and I had had another super lazy day and hadn't even showered or dressed. But I knew we had to go to the hospital. She was holding her lower right side. I just knew it was her appendix. She got dressed and I jumped into the shower. It was the quickest shower I have taken in a very long time. I was showered and dressed and out the door in less than 15 min.
We arrived to the ER and OMG...I swear the carnival must have been in town. Humans can be very odd looking characters. They took Sarah in quickly since her pain was pretty severe but getting into the ER is only part of the battle. We sat in the room for ever. Her dad and grandmom showed up for the all night vigil. He was totally on his game and had everyone laughing. Then he sucked up to the nurses by bringing back a box of joe when he went to Dunkin Donuts for me. He really can be a sweetheart.
The nurse had doen the initial exam and asked all the questions. Then the ER Dr came in and examed her. She wanted her tested for appendecitis. Sarah had to drink 32oz of some sort of Barium liquid. I guess it didn't taste too gross but once that was down the wait really began. At least 2 hours then they'd bring her down for a CT scan. So from midnight until 2am we waited. Sarah was on the cot, Grandmom was perched on the utensil cabinet, I was sitting in a chair and John was on the stool.
Waiting. Waiting. John turned off the overhead light so Sarah could sleep. The nurse checked up on us a couple of times. About 1:30 Sarah announces that she thinks she may Puke. There was no "may" about it. I offered up a small bucket to which she said no way that was big enough. Oh boy..this is not good. I dragged over the trash can. John scrambled to his feet and out the door as fast as he could. She let loose. I didn't realize a stomach could have that much in it. Mostly fluid and it wore her out. The pain intensified. Another round of meds to ease the pain. Finally at 2:30 they wheeled her down to Xray. The results were emailed to a company in Australia to be read. That seemed so strange but they assured us it was how they do things now and it's much quicker. And it was pretty quick. By 3:15 the results were back and guess what?? Yup...acute appendecitis.
The surgeon was called in and around 4am in came in to introduce himself and tell us what was going to happen. He was very cute and super nice. The best part was that he spoke fluent English with no thick accent. I understood every word.
Sarah was wheeled to the OR at 4:20. Down 3 long hallways or was it 4? Anyways, she was wheeled a long friggin ways. I wasn't sure I'd know how to get out of the hospital after that walk. We gave kisses and well wishes as they were prepping her. She was in so much pain and it had all happened so fast that she wasn't afraid at all.
The Dr showed us to the waiting room and assured us that he would take good care of her. It was about that time that it all caught up with me. And the tears came. I got myself together and the three of us settled in for the wait. About an hour was what we were told. AN hour and a half later I was asking because we hadn't heard anything. The nurse that called down and asked wasn't saying much but her facial expressions were just so strange. Like she was concerned. All of a sudden I felt a sense of panic. I felt all hot like I was going to faint and a wave of nausea came over me like a flood. Then she said ok I'll let them know. Then I knew it was fine since a nurse would never be the one to "deal with the family" if something was terribly wrong.
Sarah was in recovery and the Dr was coming to get us. It was very textbook. Went off without a hitch. She was now minus an appendix.
7 comments:
One hell of a night you had there girl. I am so glad she came through okay. Good job at spotting an emergency when you see one. How long does she stay in the hospital?
I'm glad to know she will be okay. Good thing you went to the hospital when you did.
Nothing harder than your kid hurting and you can't feel it for them instead.
OMG! What a scary experience! Thank God, her symptoms were clear and typical. Sometimes appendicitis is hard to diagnose. My friend had a daughter with atypical symptoms and by the time they got her into surgery--it burst. She is okay, though. Wow...one of the nightmares of motherhood, when your baby is so sick. I am so happy it had a happy ending.
oh my goodness! what a scary experience for you all!!! glad she's doing okay now.
Phew! what a night for all of you.
WOW! What a night! I hope she is feeling better now!
Post a Comment