Thursday, March 12, 2009

With a lump in my throat

Gene Maudlin 10/1/30- 3/7/09 (or was that 10/2/30?)

I've been so out of the loop that I didn't know. And when I saw it on Chrissy's blog my breath caught in my throat and that lump is still there.

4 Years ago in Feb 2005 I was purusing blogs and came across one called "Old Horsetail Snake". I was smitten from the first post. Funny!! This guy was hilarious. I bookmarked him and came back day after day. He wrote tirelessly. I don't recall which post it would have been that brought me out of my shell but I finally left a comment. He dropped by my blog right away and returned the comment in kind. And the blogging friendship was formed.

I was making plans to visit my Best Bud in WA and immediately thought "why not fit in a visit with Hoss?" So I dropped him a line and invited myself to dinner to which he readily agreed. He warned me that he was a virgin. He had never met a "blog buddy" before. Well I didn't have a whole lot of experience since I had only met my first blog buddy the day before so I told him I would take it easy on him. My Best Bud and I made our way south to OR. Hoss had given me his home address. What a trusting soul. Maybe he was feeling pretty safe having FeelGood Haines standing guard for him.

Best Bud and I found the place relatively easy. We walked down the hallway and knocked on the door. "Just a min" came the muffled greeting. I think he scurrying to get some clothes on or maybe he was hiding all his valuables. He opened the door with a smile! He put out his arm and I immediately gave him a big ol hug. He shook hands with Best Bud and invited us in. We talked about blogging and he introduced us to his Wife Betty and his daughter. We plied him with booze (a Corona) and got him to do a jig or two on the table. (See I can embellish this story since he's not here to defend himself.Boo-1 Hoss-0) He showed us where all the magic happens. His computer was up and he even had the beginnings of a post started. We also talked of Dung Beetles, making his pile, his list of favorite words and a bunch of things that fall under the catagory of "too bad". He confessed that he hates the "B" word. And he wouldn't even write "bl*g" on his "bl*g". But now I have to confess that he did speak the word several times.

This visit took place on 7/17/2005. My 39th birthday. I had wished very hard for Bionic Woman DVD's that year but must say my visit with Hoss was about the best birthday present I could have asked for.

After awhile Best Bud and I had to bid our farewells. We snapped a couple of pics and I snookered another hug. He wrote about it here. I would say a good time was had by all.

I have read Mr Snake ever since. I am very fortunate to be able to call him Friend. His stories of his double birthday and getting reincarnated and making his pile and riding the shuttle have made me laugh for years. I miss him and am trying to take comfort in being able to drop by his legacy for a little "Hoss" time.

He once wrote on his bl*g:

There once was a writer named Hoss,
Who with words was not at a loss.
He proved right away
With the rhyme of the day,
Toss, gauss, moss, joss, sauce, and boss.


Goodbye Gene, you left more than just your mark on the world.
When I see Haley's Comet I'll give you a wave!!

9 comments:

kenju said...

What a nice tribute to Hoss, Boo. I did not know that you had met him. I sure wish I had. I will miss him terribly.

Marcy said...

Awww ... boy, you've had one hell of a week, eh?

Lois Lane said...

Perfect! I loved reading about your time visiting with Hoss. He was a great man. And I know he would have loved this post since dung beetles didn't upstage him. :)

Hoss -1 Dung Beetles -0

I'm pretty sure he'd say you're aces, kid.

Tammy said...

Judy- even though we knew it would come (eventually) it's still hard. He did a pretty good job of not dying on time. I miss him too.

Marcy- It's been a wild week and topping it off with Friday the 13th.

Lois- I can't tell you what your comment means to me. Thanks.

Peter said...

Hi Boo, long time no hear, its sad that it took Hoss' passing to catch up, he is missed by all who "knew" him.

John Cowart said...

Hi Boo,

You are so lucky to have actually met Gene in the flesh. I started reading him years ago though I seldom commented (he intimidated me).

He will be sorely missed... Now who will I be able to steal jokes from???

John Cowart

Grandma Lola said...

Beautiful tribute honey. I found out from Lois Lane. Here is another beautiful tribute to him
http://amarkonmywall.wordpress.com/

It is amazing just how many lives he touched, huh? I'm glad I got to call him friend. (((u)))

Cin said...

Awww, Boo, I am sorry to hear of your loss.

JeanMac said...

How wonderfully happy and sad all at once. glad you were able to get together.