I wasn't going to talk about it because truthfully I'm a little ashamed of myself but then I thought it was a great lesson and one that everyone should hear.
Sam and I went to his sister's house for dinner and bowling on Friday evening. I'm loving the Wii. I kicked ass in bowling and tennis and Sam sucker punched me in boxing and laughed like hell when I couldn't manage to end the shot in Golf. Did you know that after 20 tries the game gives you a courtesy out?? I found that out on the 3rd hole. After a few hours of game playing and pizza eating we went out and sat in the new hottub. Oh My Gawd...that was wonderful. It's outside so the contrast between the cold air and the hot water is very exhilerating.
Throughout the evening I had a few smirnoffs, 3 to be exact. I had one when we first got there around 5:30. Then another with my dinner around 6:30. That one I milked for awhile. I had the last one when we went out to the hottub at 8:45. I had drank about half of it then about 9:30 I guzzled the rest and we got out of the tub. I was pretty woozy but more from being put into a trance from the hottub than anything else.
We got dressed and watched the rest of a game show before leaving at 10pm. I felt fine and Sam only lives about 2 miles from his sister, on a back road so I didn't even think twice about driving. Wouldn't you know, about a 1/4 mile from his house I got pulled over by a cop.
Omg, OMg, OMG......I knew I hadn't done anything wrong. I wasn't speeding and I was doing the speed limit. I had met him and he turned around. I knew my headlights and tail lights were working. But my mind couldn't stay off that stupid smirnoff I had guzzled around 9:30. Granted it was only about a third of a bottle but still. My paranoia was taking control of me. Sam was trying to calm me dowm.
Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: No
Officer: You have a plate light out.
Me: (fumbling through the glove box from registration and proof of insurance) I didn't know that.
I handed the officer my license, registration and insurance card. He looked at them briefly then shined the flashlight directly into my face.
Officer: where are you headed?
Me: my boyfriend's house, he lives just around the corner.
Officer: (peering into the car) may I see your ID (to Sam)
Sam: huh? you want my ID? (he starts fumbling for his wallet)
Meanwhile my mind is racing. It's only been about 30-45 since I drank those last couple of swallows of smirnoff.
The officer went back to his car. I was shitting bricks and praying that he wouldn't ask me to step out of the vehicle. I knew I wasn't drunk or even buzzing but I really didn't have any idea how I would test out on a breathilizer. All I could think of was how ruined I would be. Losing my license for at least 30 days, not to mention the fines involved. I was on the edge of a breakdown when the officer walked back up.
Officer: your inspection sticker runs out this month.
Me: yes I know, I have an appt next week for new struts and a sticker.
Officer: (handing back the licenses) OK, get that light taken care of and have a nice evening.
Me: thank you officer.
He walked away and I rolled the window up. Shelby was in the back seat, in her crate. Leftover Smirnoff was in the cooler on the seat beside her. No laws were broken but I was scared shitless.
When we pulled into Sam's driveway I almost collapsed from relief. Never again will I have a drink within an hour of driving. No, make that 90 min of driving. My paranoid schizophrenia was having a major field day.
Really, I don't know how people dare to drink and drive. At that moment in time I was thinking of the financial implications. I didn't even consider the worst that could happen because I knew wasn't drunk. Don't drink and drive, ever. Not even after having "just a little". It's sooo not worth it.
4 comments:
I think that we've all probably done that Boo. But you're right. It's a no brainer. Even 1 drink within an hour can affect a person.
Im glad you had a good time, and that things went well :)
And you're right about the booze too :)
Wow! I am really glad you came out of that alright. It sounds like it scared the shit out of you! I would have had the same reaction as you did! YIKES!
Ok. Being a civil liberties bitch, I want to know where the hell that cop got off asking your friend for ID? I guess at that point, it was better not to question although you were probably below the limit for even impaired. Shit like this pisses me off to no end. I've had my share of confrontations. Having a father that is an ex cop makes one a bit over confident and that would have NEVER happened in my presence.
Im glad I have some good friends that would bail me out. :-)
Post a Comment