Monday, June 9, 2008

I'm still here

Really I am.

I'm just not all there.

Summer has arrived. It came in the form of oppressive heat and a shower of whirly-gigs.
The pool is up and running and almost swimmable. This is a huge feat considering on Sat morning it looked like a bowl of goolash, complete with large clumps of algea and toads. Now in less than 72 hours it is a hazy white, no algea and just about the pristine temp of 80 for swimming. I've been scooping the gigs out of the skimmer all weekend but it seems like we may have won the battle, for now.

We've been busy with projects. It is starting to seem like our whole lives are about projects. Sam likes to stay busy and I like to dream big but we are looking forward to a day when we can spend a weekend at the beach.

Things are coming together though. All the plants are in the ground or pots. I do have a couple more small projects with flowers but if I don't get to them it will be no big deal. We got our old (dilapidated) shed moved and a new one arrived this morning. It came in a box so that should be a joy to put together. The old shed will be spruced up and painted. We really need a garage but with gas and oil on the rise a shed was what fit the budget.

We're happy. I'm happy. Things aren't perfect but they are pretty darn good. I admit there have been times when I wonder what the hell I'm doing but those times are few and far between and when I have them we talk about it. We talk about everything. Nothing is taboo. Our lives are entertwined with the past in ways that we would have never imagined. The heartbreak of my life has turned out to be a very good friend and a great tenant. Sam has found a new friendship. One that has done him a world of good.

My relationship with Sam's family has greatly improved. An awesome friendship has evolved from the ashes of yesteryear. Old wounds have healed and trust has been built. On both sides. I don't feel as guarded. I don't feel the need to always fulfill expectations. It's just happening on it's own. That sense of relaxed friendship and family is a very nice feeling.

Sarah has been on groundation for a week now. It's done her a world of good. No cell phone, no laptop, no TV and spending afternoons with her Dad has revealed a more loving child. She at least acknowledges me now. It's still about impossible to get a sincere hug from her but I'm persistant. ;-) She has slowly been getting TV back but I think the cell phone and laptop will stay gone. I'm not obligated to give her those things and she's not entitled to them. So....she'll have to earn them back.

We are going to PA this weekend for my cousin's son's graduation party. He is graduating from high school and they are throwing him a huge party. We'll be hobnobbing with the mucky mucks. It'll be a great weekend. My cousins always show us a great time. They are truly great people. I wish I could feel better about the trip and not be so obsessive about the gas prices. If wishes were gallons of gas I'd be able to travel to PA and well beyond without a thought.

Speaking of gas and high prices I've been eyeballing the oil prices too. Phew...talk about sticker shock. I'm trying to lock in a price but I can't seem to resign myself to locking in at $4.73 a gallon. From what I'm hearing I should lock in though. $4.73 may actually be a bargain. Pretty bad huh?

My brain is still going. The voices are still echoing but it's 10:30pm. About a half hour past my self imposed 10pm bed time. Time to shut down and relax.

I'm surprised you guys still come here. But I'm glad you do. I'll try to be a bit more accommodating and write more often. If you want a good chuckle check out
Millie trying to open her Awesome Aussie. She is as cute as she can be.

And Lucy...I did say Rabbit Rabbit but I was a few days late. So far it's been a good month though. I guess since I've been so good about being on time in the past the lucky rabbit has forgiven me this one time.

2 comments:

millie garfield said...

Boo, I'm glad that things are going so well for you. And -

Thanks for the mention ;-)

Christine said...

I am a frim believer in taking shit away from kids often whether they deserve it or not...keep them on their toes.