Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Super bumming

Last night I brought the hammer down on Sarah.
Seems that she lacks motivation.
Seems that she doesn't give a rat's behind about doing well in school.
Seems that she has a hyper-sense of entitlement.
Seems it's time for Mom to stop giving and not expecting much in return.

I received a notice from the school that she isn't doing well in her classes. When I questioned her, she shrugged and said "ya, so?"

"Ya so???? Is that all you got?" as her phone was tinging the familiar sound of a text message.

I looked around her room. A mess. A complete freaking mess. But that's her business. Unless she is chronically making bad decisions then everything becomes fair game. I took the laptop. I took the cell phone. I took the remote for the TV and unplugged it. I unplugged her radio. She was instructed to clean her room. She is grounded.

No phone, no lights, not a single luxury.

She cried. Her father called. There were lots of harsh words. He's threatening to have her live with him. (after all he is super dad and can really straighten her out)She cried some more. I teared up. He is frustrated. Yeah Mr "I graduated by the skin of my teeth and in this day and age probably wouldn't make it" is frustrated. What about me??? I did well in school. Graduated with honors. I tried. I wanted to do well. I did things right and what have I got for it??? 2 slaps in the face. Heather was on the 5 year plan and it seems Sarah is following in those footsteps.

Even now, I go to work and earn an honest living. I pay my bills and don't rely on anyone to support me but HE is frustrated. I Yelled at her dad. I Yelled at her. I finally was spent and stormed out of the house for a walk.

What I didn't know. What I couldn't have known was that at that exact moment in time a truck was crashing into a small pony drawn wagon. A 9yo girl and one of the ponies died at the scene. Another little girl and the little old man who owned the horses were taken to the hospital in critical condition. It happened about a half mile from my ex's house and he knows the little old man. They have driven by his house many times.

Geez.....our problems sure are minute now aren't they?

4 comments:

Mindie said...

That is really true. When I think of my "problems" I am always reminded that compared to some other people, my problems are so nothing. But, still, I went through the same exact thing with my daughter. She actually went to live with her dad. It lasted about three months, and when she came back, she was like a different kid. Better grades, a cleaner room, more respect. Sometimes they need to see the grass isn't greener, you know?

Shauna said...

That really is a super bummer.

Hope things get better.

xo

perdido said...

Oh I remember what I was thinking at that age - not a whole lotta nothing it was all about my looks and my friends and of course boys - why oh why did God make teenagers like that????

That is so awful about the accident. and like you said, makes you realize

Muse said...

Im sorry babe.. kids are never an easy job. ;-)