Sunday, September 21, 2008

So out of my league (Tumbledown Mountain)

It was a nice start. Shelby and Sam were eager to get started. I on the other hand had to make a quick pit stop at the outhouse. Oh, that was one of the great things about this trail, it had a VERY NICE outhouse at the trailhead. Seriously.


I wish you could hear what this little brook sounded like. I would have loved to pitch a hammock and just lay and listen to that all day.


See me smiling here? Yeah, I had no clue what I was in for.



This is the trail. Where? You ask? Ummmm....right there! Can't you see it? Well, if you look at the trees you'll see the occasional blue paint splotch. Those mark the trail. At least now we know why they call it Tumbledown.



Sam is a little leary. Can he make it holding Shelby (which he had to carry her through about 3/4 of the trip because it was just too rocky for her little short legs) and would I be able to follow as well. This still wasn't the worst part of the trail.



THIS was the worst part. I tried a half dozen times to get up over that rock. Finally a couple came along and I watched where the lady put her hands and feet and with the help of her husband I was able to finally conquer the mountain.



The views were great though and the little pond was very peaceful.



The map said it was an easy trail. Sam says "not so much". Shelby didn't think it was all that rough since she had a pretty smooth ride.


My legs and arms and hips and knees and ankles and back are all screaming this morning. I took a couple of ibuprofens because there is no time for soreness. It's a beautiful day and brush needs to be hauled. It was a good hike and a better than good workout. I saw a heavyset woman climbing up on our way down. She looked miserable and I'm wondering if she made it up over the big ledge. She was greart motivation for me. If she can make it I can make it and not complain (too loudly).

3 comments:

Queen Kathleen said...

that looks like fun AND hard work! Nice view... :)
congrats on the 9 pounds too--- I think I found what you lost!!!

Anonymous said...

More power to ya, girl!! Im quite sure I would have turned around!! lol

Anonymous said...

Wow! My kind of trail! Congrats on reaching the summit!