Monday, December 8, 2008

Cold

Have you ever noticed how amplified all the sounds are in the cold? The squeaky sound of snow under your shoes. Every bump on the road. The rustle of your jacket as your arms swing. The windchimes in the wind. The ache in your heart

It was as cold this morning as it's ever been. Still no heavy snow though. Last year at this time I had paid the plow guy 3 times. Thank Heavens for small favors. I have decided to stop worrying about it. I have to get plowed out if it snows and I have to keep heat in the house. I have always managed, one way or another so I'm going to stop worrying about it. There is nothing that will make winter last longer than dreading it. I am already counting down the days until the 21st. That will be shortest day of the year and after that it is all down hill til Spring.

During a discussion with BFF this question came up: Who is considered an ex?

The reason it came up is because her furnace guy also works on her ex boyfriend's furnace. We live in a small town so everyone knows most everyone. The furnace guy was done working in her furnace and he casually mentioned that he had been doing work at her ex's. She was thinking her ex-husband "R", but it turns out he was talking about her ex-boyfriend "T". She told the furnace that they had lived together for a couple of years but that was it. I had to laugh. In a very innocent way she let the furnace guy know that "T" wasn't truly an ex in that they were never married. In her mind an ex is an ex-spouse and not just a boyfriend or even in a live-in. I tended to agree since when she told me of the conversation I immediately thought of "R" and not "T". So what is an ex? I guess it makes a difference on your situation. SOmeone who has never been married but had a boy/girl friend they no longer see would think of that person as an ex. BFF and I were both in long term marriages and since our divorces we have each had one serious live-in relationship. Now we are both single. My way of thinking is in direct line with her way of thinking. Truthfully I do not think of "D" as just an ex. "J" is my ex and "D" is my ex-boyfriend. Not much difference I know but I totally got what BFF meant by it. I have felt a need to qualify "J" as my ex and "D" as an ex-boyfriend on a couple of occasions. Maybe part of the difference for both of is that our ex-husbands are still in our lives (because of the kids) and the ex-boyfriends aren't. I don't know. Guess it really doesn't matter as long as we know what we are talking about.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i would think an "ex" is an ex no matter what possible relationship you held with them. ex-boyfriend, ex-spouse, ex-lover, ex-coworker, ex-inlaw, etc. etc. etc.

but what do i know?
;-)

kenju said...

Leen is right, I think. You need to extend the word to include ex-(whatever) so people will know what you mean.

Anonymous said...

I guess i'll confer.. but when she said 'ex', the first person I thought of was my ex-husband... not ex-boyfriend :)

Jammie J. said...

Yep, I thought ex-husband...