Monday, December 29, 2008

Taking a digger

The holidays went off without a hitch. They were mostly quiet and relaxing and peaceful.

I threatened all weekend to take down the decorations but didn't actually get busy with it until yesterday afternoon. I was supposed to start in the morning but I got a better offer for breakfast. After some food and little shopping I made it clear that I HAVE TO GO HOME AND CLEAN. Yeah yeah yeah....I know how boring, but it is an evil necessity.

I begged asked BFF if she wanted to come over and help take down all the Christmas cheer. She gladly obliged. But when she showed up she had her laptop and a bottle of kahlua. Uh Oh, something tells me I'm not gonna get much cleaning done. We got online in our new favorite haunt and had the best time buying and selling pets. We drank. We were goofy and at about 7pm I had a panic attack. OMG...I cannot keep playing. I HAVE to take down Christmas!!! So I left BFF to play with our new friends alone while I got busy. I got the tree disrobed and the mantle was packed up. It was time to start on the shelves above the windows. I got out the step stool which looked like this one.
I was stepping onto the second step but my foot was a little too far to the right and wouldn't you know, right there in front of God and BFF, I flipped that stool. Unlike the graceful lithesomeness of a cat who always land on their feet, I landed with a huge thud. I crashed onto the overturned stool and totalled a leg on it, rendering it useless. My entire left took a beating but my wrist took the brunt of it. BFF leaped out of her chair, throwing her laptop to see if I was ok. She said she saw it starting to happen but it was in slow motion and she couldn't move for that first split second. She helped me up, brushed off my wounded pride and we had a good laugh over my clumsiness. I have to admit that I'm sore this morning and the wrist woke me a couple of times in the night. I know it's not broken and probably not even really sprained but she sure is sore. Booze and cleaning really do not mix.

After the digger I decided it was much more fun to buy and sell pets than to take down decorations so I settled back in with my laptop. BFF left around 8:30 and I chatted online for a while longer. About 11pm I had a pang of conscience and signed off from my fun. In about an hour and a half I got all the decorations boxed up and put away in the basement. They are all organized in the storage shelves. I moved the living room around. I folded a load of laundry, unloaded the dishwasher and reloaded it. I finally crawled into bed about 1am. I guess all that activity after the fall may have added to my soreness but the house is all spic and span again. Yay!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im envious!! My house is still in a clutter... with Christmas still up. Im thinking I might take Friday off, and take down the festivities.

Hope your parts are all okay!! :)

kenju said...

Mine is still decorated and I have NO inclination to take it down, since that involves work and cleaning.

To answer your comment; I've been self-employed for the last 25 years, so what good would it do to call in sick? LOL

Before that? I don't remember. Now I did play hooky from school. Does that count?

Shauna said...

I love getting the stuff up and out but it sure feels great to get it down doesn't it?

I laughed about the stool. Sorry but I could picture it in my head and giggled away. That's totally something that I would do.