I watched the Inauguration.
In my lifetime I don't ever remember this much excitement over a new president. Could be the last time there was this much energy it was for JFK. It was the first time I have ever watched the festivities in their making. I've seen the speeches and oaths before but always on the news after the fact. My company allowed us to gather in the cafeteria/auditorium to watch it on the big screen. I was amazed at how packed it was. In the range of 1000 people I would say. There was a somber excitement. Or maybe solemn excitement is a better phrase. When they broke in at noon and said that even though he had yet to take the oath, Barack Obama was officially the President, the room erupted in applause and again after he completed the oath. It does feel different. It feels brand new. I haven't seen this much hope as a country ever. God Bless President Obama and God Bless America!!
2 things of note-
1)The Chief Justice messed up the Oath which is why Obama hesitated. Although he did seem like a nervous bridegroom through the Oath.
2) Aretha Franklin should not have been so pronounced about separating the syllables in country. "My coun(held for about 2 seconds)try tis of thee" sounded like "my c**t tree tis of thee" It's hard to stay solemn when you're subconsciously having a dirty mind.
I started walking again yesterday. Of course I have to play it by ear with the weather but it sure felt good to get out in the fresh air and get my blood pumping again.
9 comments:
Boo, I am much older than you and even I don't remember this much excitement over a new President! Not even Kennedy.
I agree with you about Aretha. That was a little painful to hear.
What a great day for america and the world. I agree with you about Aretha. Hooray on the walking, good for you honey. (((u)))
lol about Aretha! I watched it too but didn't notice that. :)
America died today.
Trashman- That is only because you wouldn't divulge your income and place of birth and run for President.
I loved celebrating along with you folks - I was so excited for today to arrive!
lol I swear ... I heard the SAME thing when Aretha started the song ..... I cringed! heh heh
my high school vocal coach would have DIED when aretha split that word. we were coached to never even split sentences up - nonetheless a WORD.
i love your gutter mind though.
Yep - Aretha was a bit much. Leen is right - my choir director was the same! You just can't do that!! I cringed too. Scotty wasnt too sure about her "hat" either :p
Yay on the walking!! I need to get back in that groove too!
Post a Comment