Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Stepping out

I went out on a date last night. It's the first one since Dana and I split a year ago. I've been ready for a long time but just hadn't found someone who could last through a couple of phone conversations. When I tell you I have had the dreggs of the dating world I am not kidding. So anyways.....

Last week I was chatting with a guy who had on his profile (in one of those silly internet dating sights that never work out)his profession is an astronaut. I took it as a joke but come to find out he was pretty far out and not in a good way. In one text conversation he admitted being unemployed, convicted tax evader, no license, no car and living rent free with a "good friend". I asked why he hadn't just jumped off the bridge yet. Then I nicely let him know that we were not at the same places in life and I wished him luck. (boy does he and whoever he hooks up with need it).

That same night, out of luck and fresh out of "give a damn" I spotted another profile , so I sent him a message. I said "Dude, you actually sound normal, could it be possible?" He replied back immediately with a "yes it's totally possible. give me a call if you want" and he gave me his number. Now if a guy is giving out his number on the first contact it usually strikes me as a bit odd, kind of aggressive and downright desperate. But for some strange reason I reached for the phone at 10:30 at night and called a total stranger. He later told me it was the fact I called him "dude" in my first contact with him that struck his curiosity. He said he knew there was no pretense and nothing measured about my note. He liked that.

That first night we talked about 2 1/2 hours. I couldn't believe it. We talked like old friends catching up. My bad/poor/no luck in dating and his own weird experiences too. We talked about exes and kids and jobs (he has one) and living arrangements and house payments and sports and finally in a quiet voice he asked what I miss the most. No one has ever asked. No one has cared. No one has considered that there is anything to be missed. I was barely able to choke out the answer. I miss touching and being touched. He sighed....he knew. His happy-go-lucky personality gave way to a sensitive emotional side. Holding hands, soft gentle kisses, whispers, making love in the wee hours of the morning. Touching. Skin on skin.

Finally...at last someone who gets it!

We have talked and texted daily. Not in an obsessive way, just in a "hey I'm thinking of you" or "how was your day" kinda way. On Sunday he asked about meeting, soon. I told him I may be available on Monday evening and would let him know. Yesterday I texted to let him know I was going to be in his area around 5:30 and would he like to meet. He responded immediately "yes". I asked if he wanted to do dinner or just meet for coffee. Again rather quickly he said dinner. So I felt pretty good that he was feeling a connection on some level too.

We ended up going to dinner at 5:30 and the time just flew. He was everything I expected and more. Tall, handsome, funny, kind, attentive. The conversation was so easy I felt like I had known him for years. It was 8:30 before I was back in my own car heading home. I could have hung out for many more hours but didn't want to seem too eager. He called after I got home to make sure I had made it ok. He assured me once again that he had a very good time.

He texted me first thing this morning and truthfully I can't wait to see him again. I don't know how far this will go but at least I have had a positive experience and he has given me hope again.

10 comments:

Christine said...

YIPPIE! I love good first dates that leave you with butterflies. And the fact that you heard from him right away is a great sign.

By any chance does he have a brother?

Jammie J. said...

Let's hope it's extraordinarily normal... if you know what I mean.

Tammy said...

Christine- not sure on the brother. That's about the only we haven't discussed.

Jammie- I so know what you mean. ;-)

Southern Gal said...

How exciting! I'm so happy for you - and, if he has a brother/cousin/elderly uncle who lives in North Carolina, let me know! I hope this is the "IT" relationship for you!

Leen said...

YAY!!!!!! Sounds like a wonderful first date. Here's to many more wonderful evenings to come.

Lois Lane said...

Dude, I'm so glad you are making a connection with someone who you can talk to for hours and connect with on a real grownup level. :)

Sidenote, I deleted the old link, want this one posted? Let me know.

Shauna said...

Oh! It sounds like - gasp! - he's not a game-player!

Keep us posted. :)

jackie said...

yeah......you are writing again...I've missed you....

Anonymous said...

OMG How did I miss this?!?!!?

Im SOO happy for you!!! This is wonderful!!

Marcy said...

So? What happened??? :) :) :)

PS I'm back ......

Marcy