Thursday, September 23, 2010

What shall I do

Heather's dog Taz attacked Sarah's cat Lulu last night.

It's a long story but the crux of it is Taz is a pitbull and one that I have no great love for. I have allowed Heather and Mark to keep him at my house while they live there. But there have been a couple of incidences where his pitbullisheness has reared it's ugly head. Now before anyone gets on my case about pitties having a bad rap, let me say that I realize that, hence the reason he was even allowed to come to my house.

However.....I do have concerns.

#1 he has a HUGE hatred of cats. This was from a bad experience as a pup but the fact of the matter is he is living in a house with a cat. A cat who was there before him and has now been relegated to living in one room. (Sarah's bedroom)

#2 Heather has Emily and I am dreadfully frightened that Taz may mistakenly or on purpose attack her. Heather and Mark have assured me that Taz is trustworthy. I tried to tell them that he is a dog and acts on instinct and training and not on logical thinking. His training has been remiss and his instinct when it comes to animals that resemble a feline have proven quite violent.

Last night while hooked out for his nightly constitutional he spotted Lulu through Sarah's window and literally jumped through her screened window and attacked Lulu on Sarah's bed. It was a blooy mess but Lulu was only shaken up and had a ripped claw. Luckily no major injury. The major injury came to the wallet since there was enough blood and concern to warrant a trip to the emergency animal hospital.

This is the 3rd time he has attacked the cat and he got into a scruff with a porcupine. He has dug the heck out of my back lawn. I want him gone. I truly want him gone. Not destroyed, just gone. But Mark says no. If the dog goes so does he. What a tempting thought that is.

I have been looking online for assistance with Taz. He needs to be neutered for starters and he needs some training. Not yelling at and a shock collar but true training. There are programs for fostering Pitties but it seems only if the dog is going to a new home. I wish he could be fostered and trained then perhaps get another chance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Leen said...

i have no real advice because my advice would be to remove the animal that is causing the danger. not to put him down, but to find him a home where his aggressive tendencies towards cats would be a non-issue.

(((u)))
good luck!

Tammy said...

I'm inclined to do the same thing. The problem is Heather's boyfriend. He is more attached to that dog than anything else and that seems to include his own child. He REFUSES to even think of getting rid of him and is threatening to move. Ordinarily I would say go, but he has no financial means to provide a decent place (because of alimony andchild support form previous marriage) which is why they are with me. Heather is between a rock and a hard place and it is her and Emily that I care about. I'm researching options. We'll see

Shauna said...

In my house? See ya Taz! Sorry, but he's not trustworthy if he's jumping through windows at a cat.

Get him gone, now! If Mark has to go, so be it. If a dog is more important than the people in his life? Hhmm. I'll stop there.

perdido said...

I had pit bulls myself and they were great dogs but our dogs were never "out of control" - this dog sounds like he is and if I were Emily's mom I would put my foot down - I can't believe Heather is not afraid for her baby but I also remember how my X used to rule me so....hope it works out for the best. Miss ya!